OPEN TO PUBLIC, PRIVATE, AND HOMESCHOOL STUDENTS
The primary mission of the National Council on Youth Leadership is to assist communities in applauding, encouraging and providing opportunities for the leadership development of their local youth. Since its inception in 1976, NCYL has been driven to improve the world of tomorrow by developing its youth leaders today.
Our philosophy is that every thoughtful investment of time, energy and resources in young people will pay enormous dividends in the future. We firmly believe that by working with youth leaders to improve and enhance their leadership skills, we can help them make an even greater impact on their peers within the schools and communities in which they live.
National Council on Youth Leadership helps young people grow into responsible adults through recognition, encouragement, and development of leadership skills by:
- Creating a public awareness of the importance and promise of youth leadership
- Providing hands-on programs to build advanced leadership skills
- Saluting young people who exhibit positive peer influence
- Rewarding successful youth leaders with achievement awards and scholarships
- Facilitating an outstanding adult commitment to youth
- Encouraging community involvement in the development of tomorrow’s leaders
NOTE: There is no charge to schools or students for participation in the program, thanks to our sponsors.
LTYS Applications are available in the following formats:
Note: Applications must be typed or written in ink.
Civic and community leaders are chosen each year to serve on the Youth Salute Committee, which selects two to four students to be named as Lincoln Trail Youth Leaders of the Year.
Student selections are based on careful assessment of leadership abilities through biographical sketches (listed achievements & activities), written essays, and through personal interviews.
These selected students are eligible to attend the Annual Town Meeting On Tomorrow in St. Louis, Missouri (typically held in late October).